Monday, November 22, 2010

Sisters Saturday on um Monday. Sydney Salter on being Sisterless-ish

(My entire weekend was spent in another city at a swimming pool (no lie) so Sisters Saturday is running a little late. But trust-- this blog is worth the wait!)

I have with me guest blogger, the wonderful author, Sydney Salter. Sydney has already released two YA novels,  MY BIG NOSE AND OTHER NATURAL DISASTERS and SWOON AT YOUR OWN RISK and  a middle grade novel, JUNGLE CROSSING.


SYDNEY:   Growing up, I liked not having a sister. No one pillaged my closet. I didn’t have to worry about guys liking my sister better. Or endure crazy sister fights—like the twins I knew who crashed their car while arguing on the way to school.



I had a little brother. He never wanted to wear my clothes, but I did steal several pairs of his perfectly faded 501 jeans (I just had to snatch them before they got grass stains). He didn’t want to play dolls, but we had hours of fun with legos and matchbox cars. As I got older, I did sometimes wish for an older brother with gorgeous friends… but I liked that my little brother put up with hours of analysis about my limited communication with various crushes.


In college I had sorority sisters: girls who borrowed my clothes without asking, coveted my boyfriend, spread rumors, acted bossy, and adored drama. More than ever I appreciated my nice little brother. When I got married, I even asked him to be my man of honor.


And then I had a daughter.


While she was enough for me, I knew that I wouldn’t be enough for her. I wanted her to have the opportunity to create matchbox car racecourses, build lego spaceships, and snag perfectly worn-in jeans from her little brother’s laundry.


I had another daughter.


Our lives turned pink and plush. Armies of Littlest Pet Shop figures roamed our floors. Barbie clothes regularly turned up in the laundry. We collected enough stuffed animals to open our own gift shop (I won’t ever admit how much money we’ve spent on Webkinz).


And I started to realize that I’ve missed out by not having a sister. My daughters share a close bond of secrets, inside jokes, shared dreams, and a strong girly friendship. Sometimes I feel left out, other times I resort to begging, “please tell me—I used to tell my mom everything. Just tell me. Pleeeze?” I do have good relationships with both my daughters, but I’ll never quite be part of their sisterly closeness. All those whispers, giggles, and eye rolls—well, often they’re directed at me. I love their relationship and do my best to nurture their friendship…


But now I really wish I had a sister, too.


Anyone want to borrow my new blue sweater?

***

Thanks, Sydney for a insightful look at being sisterless and happy and then having daughters and being converted! I agree that brothers do have a wonderful purpose too, but they aren't sisters. (And they won't wear your blue sweaters)

Now-- go out and read Sydney's books! You must! Not only is she prolific, she's as warm and delightful in person as her books are to read. Humorous and uplifting, Sydney's books are about self discovery and acceptance with a delicious amount of romance sprinkled in.

Vist Sydney at her website.
Sydney's Website

1 comment:

  1. Ah, yes, the great closet raids. I'd forgotten those. I should have included that in my sister post. Rats! Of course, if I had, my sister would have been all over me for outting her! Great to read this, Janet and Sydney.

    ReplyDelete